Llantwit Major local clubs
Llantwit Major Cricket club
Welcome to the Llantwit Major School PE Department Homepage. You can use this page to find information about extra-curricular clubs and any opportunities that we offer.
Meet the Department
Mr J Crocker (LOL)
Mr R Nunes
Miss M Davies
Miss J Knight
How Physical Activity can help with physical and emotional health
Below is our latest PE and 5x60 extra-curricular timetable.
Pupils can opt to study Sport as one of their GCSE options. In Year 9, in addition to their two core PE lessons, pupils will receive four Sport lessons a fortnight. These will consist of two classroom-based lessons where pupils will study Health and Fitness. The remaining two lessons will be practical where pupils will take part in a variety of different activities. Each half term, pupils will be assessed, both, practically and in the classroom. From this, pupils are directed down one of two routes into studying Physical Education: WJEC PE or WJEC Sport.
WJEC PE is split 50/50, with 50% of pupils’ overall grade being assessed practically (8% is a coursework task based on practical activities), whilst the remaining 50% is assessed through an hour and a half exam at the end of Year 11. This course involves being assessed in three different practical activities, as well as completing a health and fitness logbook. These three sports must consist of one team sport, one individual sport and one other of either team or individual.
WJEC Sport involves studying three units over Years 10 & 11. These units include Sports Coaching, Fitness for Sport and Improving Sporting Performance. This course is predominantly coursework based (60%) yet provides pupils with the opportunity to plan and lead their own coaching sessions in a practical environment. The remaining 40% of the course is made up by completing an online exam, which is assessed externally.
KS5 BTEC Sport
At Key Stage 5, pupils can opt to study BTEC Sport. This course involves studying a number of different units over the two years. Each unit will have research questions that you will have to investigate and answer both inside and outside of the classroom. These units of study include Anatomy and Physiology, The Physiology of Fitness, Assessing Risk in Sport, Fitness Testing for Sports, Leadership in Sport, The Athlete’s Lifestyle, and Sports Nutrition. Each unit of study has varying levels of difficulty and allows pupils to achieve either a Pass, Merit or Distinction. Pupils will be given homework regularly, which will contribute towards their final assessments.
KS5 Public Services
At Llantwit Major School, we also offer Public Services at Key Stage 5. This qualification is targeted at learners who would like to gain employment in the public services sector and the course has been designed to prepare students for further training and education progression opportunities in employment or in university. Pupils will study a number of different units over the two years, totalling 60 credits overall. Each unit will have research questions that you will have to investigate and answer. In Year 12, pupils will study three compulsory units, which include Government Policies and the Public Services, Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services and Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services. In Year 13, we offer a slightly different approach to the units that pupils will study. As a group, we will decide on the remaining units that pupils will study, with the idea being that the pupils pick the units that interest them the most as a group. Each unit that is studied will have varying levels of difficulty and allows pupils to achieve either a Pass, Merit or Distinction. Pupils will be given homework regularly, which will contribute towards their final assessments.